Learn how to be your own self advocate.
The Joint Commission – www.thejointcommission.org
- Speak up Series for example: Speak Up: Know Your Rights: http://www.jointcommission.org/multimedia/speak-up-know-your-rights/
- Safer Patient Newsletter – sign up (free)
Patient Centered Care
Learn about Patient Centered Care and How You Can Advocate for it at Your Hospital
- Planetree – www.planetree.org
- Patient Notebook: http://planetree.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/Planetree-Same-Page-Patient-Notebook.pdf
- Institute for Patient and Family Centered Care www.ipfcc.org
- Picker www.nrcpicker.com
- Overview of Patient-Centered Dimensions: http://www.nrcpicker.com/member-services/eight-dimensions-of-pcc/
The Eight Dimensions of Patient-Centered Care grew out of years of research by the Picker Institute and Harvard Medical School, thousands of interviews, and the experiences of caregivers and patients. Analysis of this industry-changing research showed that there are certain things, certain behaviors no less, that are instrumental to patients’ healing, feeling cared for, and having a positive patient experience. From that research, we now understand what matters most to patients.